Sunday, May 20, 2007

We ended up needing to get some information from the US Embassy web-site so we decided to post today. Here are some more pictures you may be interested in. The first one is a statue of Aptema the founding father of the city. After that is a picture of us standing in front of what we believe is a World War II memorial. Then there are some pictures we took while walking around the square during the Miss Donetsk contest. The first is a statue of Lenin. The next is of a street performer. The last picture is just looking down the main city street named after Aptema. We did not stick around long enough to actually watch the pagent. We saw a little bit of the pre concert. There were two main singers one male and one female. The crowd seemed to like them. Although it was packed and many people were drinking it was under control. There were a lot of families with small children walking around and there was even a place with small rides like you would see at a county fair. The law for alcohol use only applies to hard liquor for which you must be 21. It is weird seeing youth walking around in public drinking beer. Olga says that although there is no law most parents would be very angry to see their children drinking. That is all for now. We love everyone. Talk to you latter. Thanks for all of the wonderful comments.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim and Iris,
Dawn talked me through how to do this. I am very proud of both of you. I am praying for you all and Maxim. That's a cute name. I pray that God puts a hedge around you and protects you. I pray that everything goes smooth while you are there and while you are returning. You are very brave and I am excited for you. I love your website -- is there anything you all can't do?
Love you very much!
Aunt Gala

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, the boys said Maxim is cute! We got pictures today! Aunt LaDonna sent them! He looks ready for winter!!! Know you all are like us only backwards!(boys and girl) Belya is cutting her 1st tooth! Kyriq's bball team still haven't won a game,but he is having fun. Wyatt of course is making outs at every position on the field!(litterally) I lead my 1st offical meeting on Friday, and our end of the year Tea today as Women's Ministry leader! It was fun! Praying time flies!!!
Love and miss you bunches, Dawn

Anonymous said...

Jim and Iris,

I was wrong the other day about the milk and fish... Rex said that the fish is horrible, but the fermented milk is actually very very good. It's like thin plain (unflavored) yogurt. He said to try it on your cereal because it won't make your cereal soggy.... You should try it.

Anyway, I'm so glad that you are able to get out and about. Will you be able to take Max away from the orphanage for any of your visits?

We love you all so much. Hello to Amber, DJ, and Colt. See you soon!

Allison, Rex, Rex and Ryan

Anonymous said...

What are the colored strings on the trees in the first picture? Are they lights? I hope you come home soon. I can't wait to meet Maxim, he is really cute.

Anonymous said...

I have been away from my computer since Thursday, so I missed all the great postings. LaDonna gave me a printout at church yesterday. She showed me his picture Saturday. He is so cute and looks just like he is yours naturally. Kas was excited, D.J. showed her a picture at school Friday. She said he came looking for her to show her. He was excited as you can imagine. I'm glad things seem to be going quicker than you thought, let's hope that keeps up. We pray for you all every night at bedtime. It seems like you guys are having a great time. We can't wait to see you all and Maxim! (love the name) Take care and stay safe!

Love, Nikki, Tommie, Kas, Nick and Nate

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! Sounds like you guys are keeping busy. I talked with ham colt and D.J. last night. They are having a good time w/ mama Donna. They were very excited about Maxim. I'm thinking about you three constantly. I miss you guys and pray things keep going the way they have so far. Maybe you guys will be home alot sooner than we thought. Hugs & kisses. Kris