Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Hello everyone. The comments have been great. Keep them coming. Isn't this picture cute? They have finally started to dress him for the weather. When we first started visiting they would dress him in three layers of clothes to go outside. The weather is unseasonably hot here (92 degrees). Olga told us that the news explained that it is the hottest it has been in the last 100 years for this month. It is hot but nothing unbearable for us. It seems to affect them more. I guess they aren't as used to it as we are. Maybe I should tell them it is not the heat it is the humidity. Ha Ha. It would not translate well so I won't. As you can see we have found yet another way Maxim is going to fit into our family. He is just as accident prone as the other three. He fell again and scraped his face pretty good. He also has a little bit of a stubborn streak. Good thing we have plenty of practice with that. He is pretty independant. No doubt a product of his environment. He is slowly starting to understand more. Today he was walking away from us (doing his own thing) and when we called for him he came back. He is consistently calling us Mama and Papa now. He still calls the caregivers mama as well. It may take a while to break him of that. We have learned a little more Ukranian. One of our favorite words is Kiss (sounds like tsuee). Sometimes it works with Maxim and he will give us a kiss. Most of the time we are just hugging and kissing him. He loves the fruit snacks we brought him. They are his favorite treat. He said bite for the first time yesterday when he wanted them. We have been working with him every meeting to learn english words. It will be much easier when we get home and that is all he hears. We went out to eat a celebration dinner the night after court. We found a mexican restaurant called Tequilla Boom. It was pretty good. I would say a mix between Tumbleweed and On the Border. No such thing as free unlimited chips and salsa or drink refills. Overall the food has been cheap compared to America. The clothes are a diferent story. Every childrens shop we have been in shopping for clothes has been outrageous. Between $50 and $60 dollars for an outfit. We did find a cheap pair of tennis shoes today at the grocery for about $8. All of the shoes we had were also around $60 dollars. We plan on going to the open market this week. Olga thinks we will have better luck finding reasonable clothes there. We just need a few outfits to bring him home in. The last picture is of a typical Ukrainian fire engine. Just thought some of you would be interested in seeing it. Several people have asked when we are coming home. Of course there are no definates so things can change. Currently we are planning on flying back to Kiev on June 1st which is a Friday. We will have to wait until Monday to finish some work at the adoption center and Tuesday at the Us Embassy. Which would mean we could possibly leave Wednesday morning June 6th. We will keep you posted on our progress.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is like the highlight of my day, looking at your website. I love to see the pictures of Max, he is so cute. I have to tell you Kas said last night she can't wait until he gets home to play with him. She said he doesn't even look like he is adopted because he looks just like Jim and Coleton. It's so cool that all the kids feel like he is a part of the family already and they haven't even met him. I can't wait to plan the party! Keep posting!

Love, Nikki

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! I Love reading about all your adventures. I just can't get over how much Max looks like G. I talked to the kids again yesterday. I told Ham that Max look like His aunt Kris when she was little.HeHe... I called mom to read this blog to her. She said she loves you all.. Iris please bring Max home without a broken bone. But you guys are right he going to fit right in.I miss you like crazy i can't wait till your back so I can give Max a big squeeze. Hugs & Kisses Kris

Anonymous said...

I think Max looks most like G also, (same eye color... WOW!) but I could see that maybe he does look a little like Aunt Kris when she was a little boy. LOL. Love you and miss you!

What size summer clothes will he need?

Allison

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the fire truck picture!!!!!

Rex the 4th

Anonymous said...

We love the pictures and can't wait to see you all in a few weeks. Keep us posted!
Love, Daren, Steph, & Parker

Anonymous said...

He gets cuter and cuter every time i look at him in a picture Love you Amber

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, look forward to your updates and the cute pictures ( of Max not Jim) just kidding. We all miss you at church. Can't wait to see you and little Max. Thanks for taking us all on this journey with you.
Love Ya
Robbie

Anonymous said...

I am leaving Flordia in the morning and will be home around 9PM. I finally found a computer station that was working and just got caught up on all your postings. My gosh, Max sure is a cute guy. I love you all and can't wait to see you on on the 6th. I know that Amber, Colt, and DJ read this every day so I want you guys to know that I love you all too.
Love,
Mom-Mom

Anonymous said...

Iris, it's a small world. This is your cousin Judi who lives in England. Mom (Aunt Nelda to you) told me about your big adventure and gave me the website. She asked me to print it out for her and it prints beautifully, pictures and all! However, she'll be here next Wednesday so I'm not sure I'll mail it or just give it to her then.

We'll be thinking of you on June 1 and again on June 6 (when we'll be in Paris).

We'll be in KY in July, I hope to meet your growing family.
Judi Taylor Inge

Anonymous said...

brittany and aunt bettie max is adorable.hurry home .hugs and kisses.